What is Business Studies?

Business Studies provides an engaging and stimulating introduction to the world of business. This is probably the most relevant subject students will ever experience. Not everyone is going to be an entrepreneur and not everyone will set up their own business. However, wherever students go and whatever students do, they will either be surrounded by people that work in a business and / or work in a business themselves.

Our aim is to actively engage our students in the study of Business to develop as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds.

Course Overview

  • Practical skills – time management, personal organisation and action planning.
  • Presentation skills – addressing audiences using a variety of media and forms
  • Personal skills – showing evidence of progression
  • Interpersonal skills – communication and group work
  • Cognitive skills – reflection and review of own and others’ performance

Gallery

Example of student work
Example of student work
Example of student work
Example of student work
Example of student work
Example of student work

Syllabus & Curriculum

Business Studies at KS4 (Years 9, 10 & 11)

All students start their GCSE course in Year 9, allowing for an extended teaching period for the qualification. In year 9 students will be introduced to the key issues involved in enterprise. They will also undertake a practice controlled assessment in preparation for their GCSE coursework. Throughout Year 9 and 10 students will study five key areas that provide a framework to consider the marketing, financial, human and operational issues involved in starting and running a small business. In year 11 students will build on prior learning and examine how a business develops beyond the start-up phase.

By the end of year 11 students will have completed two units and will have completed a 6 hour controlled assessment (worth 25% of their total GCSE grade). They will also undertake a 45 minute examination which is worth 25% of their total GCSE grade and a one hour and 30 minute examination which will be worth 50% of their total GCSE grade.

Examination Details

GCSE Business

Contact: Mr N. Davies
Applies to: Year 10 & 11
Course Type: GCSE
Exam Board: Edexcel
Spec Code: 2BS01
Specification: Download

Practice Papers

Below are a selection of useful practice papers for the course your son is studying: